[Python-Dev] Renaming Include/object.h

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 26 01:47:55 CET 2007

On 1/3/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> In #1626545, Anton Tropashko requests that object.h should be
> renamed, because it causes conflicts with other software.
>
> I would like to comply with this requests for 2.6, assuming there
> shouldn't be many problems with existing software as object.h
> shouldn't be included directly, anyway.

I like the idea of renaming the header files, but I expect there is a
lot more opportunity for breaking code that you estimate.  I did a
search on google.com/codesearch and found seven external packages that
include Python.h and object.h (before I gave up).

I assume we expect people won't include it, because it is also
included in object.h.  But they do it.  Is there documentation that
says you shouldn't import it?

Jeremy