[Python-Dev] pep-3108.txt

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 3 01:42:01 CET 2007

On 1/2/07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> On 2007-01-02 23:54, Brett Cannon wrote:

> >> package?
> package?

> >> If you do follow this route, please take the chance to place
> >> the whole Python stdlib under a single package. That way we'll
> >> avoid name clashes with existing packages and modules now and
> >> in the future.
> >

> > That has been suggested before (including by me) and Guido has always
> shot
> > it down.  That's why I left it out of this proposal.
>
> Even if it is shot down again, it still deserves to be documented
> together with the reasons for being shot down.
>
> This is a one-in-a-lifetime chance, so it would be sad if it were
> not taken into account.
>
> The extra effort would be minimal - the renaming would have to be
> done using a script anyway and adding an extra 'from py import '
> prefix to the modules wouldn't really make the renaming more
> complicated ;-)

I was about to start writing an open issue on this since the biggest
objection from Guido I could find on this topic is
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-July/026409.html , but then
it started to feel like a separate PEP to me.  So I think I am going to pass
on taking on this topic and let someone else tackle it in a PEP.  Sorry,
MAL, but I need to worry about my sanity on this one.  =)

-Brett