[Python-Dev] Renaming Include/object.h

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Jan 3 19:11:08 CET 2007

> On 1/3/07, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 January 2007 11:06, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >  > In #1626545, Anton Tropashko requests that object.h should be
> >  > renamed, because it causes conflicts with other software.
> >  >
> >  > I would like to comply with this requests for 2.6, assuming there
> >  > shouldn't be many problems with existing software as object.h
> >  > shouldn't be included directly, anyway.
> >
> > +1
>
> Maybe this should be done in a more systematic fashion? E.g. by giving
> all "internal" header files a "py_" prefix?

I was thinking the same, and I'm sure Neal Norwitz is/was too (he suggested
this a few times in the past, at least outside of python-dev.) There are a
few headers that might be in 'legitimate' use right now (as in, there is no
way to do what they need to do without including those seemingly internal
headers) but personally I think breaking source compatibility and requiring
portable code that needs access to those to #if/#ifdef around it, to be a
reasonable price to pay. (Only for header files that should really be
internal, of course, not ones that are oft-used outside the core.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!