[Python-Dev] Renaming Include/object.h

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Thu Jan 4 00:31:45 CET 2007

On 1/3/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Thomas Wouters schrieb:
> > (Only for header
> > files that should really be internal, of course, not ones that are
> > oft-used outside the core.)
>
> Which are these?

Mostly structmember.h and structseq.h, less often code.h, compile.h,
frameobject.h, marshal.h. Aside from the ones that are already prefixed with
'py' and not included by Python.h (pythread.h, pyexpat.h maybe?) I'm not
sure which should really be public. Both structmember.h and structseq.h are
generally useful to extension modules -- I've used both, although I don't
think I would have used structseq if I wasn't already quite aware of it. The
rest is useful only for extension modules that want to muck about with
internals (like profilers, debuggers, custom marshalmunching and nasty
extension modules that want to hook into Python internals that are not
easily hooked into) and they will have to deal with less backward
compatibility at the source and binary level anyway -- let them fix their
imports.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!