[Python-Dev] Renaming Include/object.h

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 08:26:01 CET 2007

On 1/3/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Neal Norwitz schrieb:
> > Wow, I didn't realize I was that much of a broken record. :-)
> > I don't even remember talking to Thomas about it, only Guido.  I
> > definitely would like to see all private header files clearly denoted
> > by their name or directory.
>
> What is a private header file, and does Python have any?
>
> I can see why Modules/sre.h is "private": it won't get installed at
> all, so users can't include them. For everything in Include, I think
> users can, and will, include them directly, unless they get them
> through Python.h.

By private, I mean internal only to python and don't need to prefix
their identifiers with Py and are subject to change without backwards
compatibility.  Include/graminit.h is one example of what I mean.
Some others are:  bitset.h, grammar.h, opcode.h, metagrammar.h,
errcode.h

Others are kinda questionable (they have some things that are
definitely public, others I'm not so sure about):  code.h, parsetok.h,
pyarena.h, longintrepr.h, osdefs.h, pgen.h, node.h

These are just some examples of what I mean.  These may be in include
because they are used between two top level directories, but not meant
to be exported.  There could be other reasons too.