[Python-Dev] pep-3108.txt

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 4 21:38:40 CET 2007

Brett Cannon wrote:
[ ... ]
> Yep.  PEP 3108 does have some basic package suggestions in the Open
> Issues section and people seem to support them.  I will be making a
> separate push for them on python-3000 once the whole discussion of what
> modules to remove has settled down.
>
>     Then again, the post is from 2002 - so things may have changed.
>

> Maybe.
>
>     There have been a couple of attempts to reorg the stdlib into
>     packages, but AFAIR, I see, all of them were withdrawn
>     due to the problem of finding a suitable grouping (often enough,
>     a module would be suitable for more than just one functional
>     package, e.g. urllib would fit "io" as well as "net") or
>     lack of support from the developers.
>

> Yep, that's what has happened.

I can't believe that we need to be flummoxed by the necessity of having
the same package appear at two (or more!) different places in the
package naming hierarchy. I suspect lack of support is more due to
developers feeling there are more profitable ways to spend their time.

>     Now that we're discussing moving the include files into
>     a subdirectory (for much the same reasons), I think it's
>     time to reboot the discussion of a Python package with or
>     without possible subpackages.
>

> Well, perhaps other people want to show support if they like the idea?
> I am personally split down the middle either way.

It would be an excellent idea to clean up the standard library space. It
should be possible in most cases to provide backwards-compatible
implementations of the current modules (at least the pure Python ones)
by doing an import * from the appropriate new-style package.

Some such compatibility mechanism will be essential if the re-org is to
happen in an acceptable way before Py3k.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden