[Python-Dev] Pydoc Improvements / Rewrite

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 14:37:02 CET 2007

On Friday, January 05, 2007, at 02:30PM, "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>Talin wrote:
>
>> Rather than fixing on a standard markup, I would like to see support for
>> a __markup__ module variable which specifies the specific markup
>> language that is used in that module. Doc processors could inspect that
>> variable and then load the appropriate markup translator.
>
>Ideally, a module should be able to specify what *documentation provider*
>to use.  Not everyone wants to stuff everything into docstrings, and, especially
>if you're building larger components, automatic introspection simply doesn't
>work very well.

+lots on that. This is not only true for larger components but projects like wxpython, pyqt and pyobjc could also use these hooks to add links to the C version of those libraries (I don't know about pyqt but wxpython and pyobjc both have choosen to document the differences with the C library instead of trying to duplicate their work).

Ronald