[Python-Dev] Pydoc Improvements / Rewrite

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Mon Jan 8 06:07:48 CET 2007

Neal Becker wrote:
> No time to review this now, but I'd just like to say that the 1 thing I'd
> like to see is support for decent mathematical markup.  I think at this
> point that support for latex markup is the way to achieve this.

There are two separate issues related to this I'd like to point out because some
of the other suggestions have indicated both of these without spelling out which
they are addressing.

(1.) Processing existing text markup from additional text hints that are
inserted into doc strings.

I think this can easily be handled with a single text output point.  General
*post* formatters of this type are very doable I think.  We just need to
document the function or method to get the *raw* plain text for that purpose.

(2.) Parsing and inserting additional markup where there is none, based on what
and where the information came from.

This is the more difficult problem.  I've tried to handle this case by creating
an object for each "thing", that can be extended by adding a formatting method
to it.  This type of markup can be very specific and may depend on context as
well as what or where the source data came from.

I don't know latex markup, but it seems like mathematical latex markup might be
done either way.

Cheers,
    Ron