[Python-Dev] Pydoc Improvements / Rewrite

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 8 17:26:55 CET 2007

Ron Adam wrote:
> Laurent Gautier wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I'd like to know more about using the sandbox, I know it would be easy
>>> for
>>> people to read the source there, but who all can have write access to
>>> it without
>>> having write access to other python areas?  I would not mind giving
>>> that a try
>>> if someone who already knows how could point me to the correct how-to
>>> documentation with some advice on what not to do.
>> Limiting where different people can commit code changes is possible... it's
>> just that I am not certain whether sourceforge allows it or not.
>> I asked A.M. Kuchling about that.
>
> I'm not concerned about limiting changes to this project.  I want others to work
> on it.  Can write access be *easily* granted to just one cvs sandbox directory,
> for this project, without granting access to other directories in the sandbox or
> trunk?

An alternative is just to trust people only to scribble in the sandbox.
I really don't think we have a bog security issue here as long as the
individuals are "known the the community" (or should that be "known to
the PSU"?).

After all, it *is* a configuration control system, which by definition
can revert to previous content in the event of some unwanted change.

>>> I'm actually more concerned about the what not to do stuff.  I really
>>> would not
>>> like to clobber someone else's work or create problems because of my
>>> inexperience with CVS.
>> I see that you are under Microsoft windows, so you may want to check
>> TortoiseSVN.
>> (The python project is stored on a SVN server, so it would make sense
>> to favor this  one over CVS - in the case the project administrators
>> have directory-level control -).
>
> Thank's I'll try TortoiseSVN out. :-)

I can heartily recommend it.

>> Regarding the possibility of jeopardizing something in the repository,
>> the directory-level sandbox should only allow you trash your own work
>> ;-)
>> (but even then, you should always be able to recover from mistakes).
>
> That would be fine then.  But I'll let you decide since you are offering to
> manage getting it set up.

[ ... ]

Let's not spend too much time on paranoid administration, since we are
supposed to be an open source community :)

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden