[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Warning for 2.6 and greater

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Wed Jan 10 19:13:39 CET 2007

<"Anthony Baxter">
> Comments? What else should get warnings?

It is my strong preference that we not go down this path.
Instead, the 2.6 vs 3.0 difference analysis should go in an
external lint utility.

The Py2.x series may live-on for some time and should do so
as if Py3.x did not exist.  Burdening the 2.x code with loads
of warnings will only clutter the source code and make maintenance
more difficult.  There may also be some performance impact.

We should resolve that Py2.6 remain as clean as possible
and that Py3.0 be kept in its own world.  Forging a new
blade does not have to entail dulling the trusty old blade.

Raymond