[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Warning for 2.6 and greater

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Jan 11 03:04:05 CET 2007

[Anthony Baxter]
> I've had a number of people say that this is something they would
> really, really like to see - the idea is both to let people migrate
> more easily, and provide reassurance that it won't be that bad to
> migrate!

If Py3.0 is going to come out before Py2.6, can we table the discussion
until then?  We may find that a) migration was easier than we thought,
b) that stand-alone migration tools are sufficient, or c) by the time
Py2.6 comes-out, no one cares about having 2.x vs 3.x warnings.
OTOH, if people do care, then we'll have a strong case for loading
these warnings into Py2.6 before it gets close to being final.

Also, I'm wondering if the desire for 2.6 warnings is based on the notion that
it will be possible to get large tools to work under both Py2.x and Py3.x.
With all the module renaming/packaging, old-style classes disappearing,
encoded text objects, real division and whatnot; that notion may be
a pipe-dream.

As far as "reassurance that it won't be that bad to migrate", screens full
of warnings may be less than reassuring.

Raymond