[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Warning for 2.6 and greater

Mike Orr sluggoster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 21:22:50 CET 2007

On 1/11/07, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
> If the goal is really to have Py 3.0 be released later this year,

3.0 alpha is scheduled for this year.  3.0 final is not scheduled till
next year, and of course another level of tweaks will have to be made
after it's been in the Real World for a few months, so it won't fully
stabilize until 3.1 or 3.2.  That gives 1 1/2 - 2 years if you want to
target "production-level" 3.1.  Also, major parts of the 3.0 core have
not been written yet, so it remains to be seen how realistic the
schedule is (or how radical the changes will be if the schedule is
kept).

There will certainly be demand for an asynchronous server in 3.0,
along with the large set of protocols support in Twisted.  So either
Twisted will be ported or a new package will be written, possibly by
some of the Twisted developers, and very likely modelled after Twisted
even if the literal code can't be copied.

> Due to a lack of manpower, it is also not in all probability a
> realistic option to maintain two parallel almost-identical
> development branches,

So the two projects will operate independently, and the 3.0 one may be
smaller and less ambitious than Twisted.  But if the need is there it
will be written.

> Just, please don't gratuitously remove an old
> API to make Python a tiny bit cleaner, when there's not already
> something I can reasonably do *today* to replace it.

How did Perl 4 and Perl 5 handle the situation?  I basically waited
2-3 years after Perl 5 came out, then started programming the new way.
 If it mattered (it didn't), I would have tied my applications
specifically to Perl 4.

--
Mike Orr <sluggoster at gmail.com>