[Python-Dev] The bytes type (was Re: Warning for 2.6 and greater)

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Jan 12 17:59:32 CET 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:14:57AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think there will be at least three areas that will make porting a
> challenge:
> - - Unicode/str/bytes incompatibilities

Something I've been meaning to bring up... do we know what shape the
Unicode/str/bytes resolution will take?  It would be nice to know so
that similar changes can be made to Jython.  For example, str in
Jython is a Unicode type, but things like the MD5 module should really
only be dealing with 8-bit strings.

Is PEP 358 still the current thinking on the bytes type?  If yes,
should we set about implementing it for Jython and Python 2.6?

--amk