[Python-Dev] The bytes type

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Jan 12 19:49:13 CET 2007

[A.M. Kuchling]
> 2.6 wouldn't go changing existing APIs to begin requiring or returning
> the bytes type[*], of course, but extensions and new modules might use
> it.

The premise is dubious.

If I am currently maintaining a module, why would I switch to a bytes type
and forgo compatibility with Py2.5 and prior?  I might as well just convert
it to run on Py3.0 and leave my Py2.5 code as-is for people who want to
run 2.x.

If I'm writing a new module, what's the point of twisting myself into knots
to get it to run on both Py2.6 and Py3.0?  That just makes coding harder
(by limiting me to the intersection of the feature sets).

I think we should draw a line in the sand and resolve not to garbage-up Py2.6.
The whole Py3.0 project is about eliminating cruft and being free of the
bonds of backwards compatibility.  Adding non-essential cruft to Py2.6
goes against that philosophy.

Raymond