[Python-Dev] The bytes type

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 12 20:00:28 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> [A.M. Kuchling]
> > 2.6 wouldn't go changing existing APIs to begin requiring or returning
> > the bytes type[*], of course, but extensions and new modules might use
> > it.
>
> The premise is dubious.
>
> If I am currently maintaining a module, why would I switch to a bytes type
> and forgo compatibility with Py2.5 and prior?  I might as well just convert
> it to run on Py3.0 and leave my Py2.5 code as-is for people who want to
> run 2.x.
>
> If I'm writing a new module, what's the point of twisting myself into knots
> to get it to run on both Py2.6 and Py3.0?  That just makes coding harder
> (by limiting me to the intersection of the feature sets).
>
> I think we should draw a line in the sand and resolve not to garbage-up Py2.6.
> The whole Py3.0 project is about eliminating cruft and being free of the
> bonds of backwards compatibility.  Adding non-essential cruft to Py2.6
> goes against that philosophy.

I'm not so sure, since 2.6 will likely be out and stable long before
3.0 gains much of a foothold. I believe the experiences with a similar
approach in the Zope world for the 2->3 transition was overall a
favorable one.

However, I'd be loathe to make any compromises in 3.0 in order to make
life easier for 2.6. The burden must be on 2.6 (and 2.7-2.9), and if
it's just impossible, that's too bad for them.