[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Warning for 2.6 and greater

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 20:06:51 CET 2007

On 1/12/07, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:
>
> > Well, that is one of the cases in which that won't be possible ;)
>
> I think there will be at least three areas that will make porting a
> challenge:
>
> - - APIs where the semantics have changed instead of being moved,
> renamed, or extended
> - - C API changes for extensions and embedded apps
> - - Unicode/str/bytes incompatibilities
>
> It's worth spending time thinking about how we can help ease the
> transition for each.  There may be more thing too.  I wonder if it
> doesn't make sense for all 3xxx PEPs to include a discussion section
> on porting.

Yeah, when this was talked about last time, I wrote PEP 3002 which
requests exactly this:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3002/

It basically proposes that all backwards-incompatible changes be
discussed in a PEP somewhere, and that code like Anthony's be added to
2.X to ease the transition.  Originally, it has proposed just a
utility like Guido's 2to3 but Guido himself suggested something like
Anthony's approach:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/001444.html

I'm planning to update the PEP with any new conclusions arrived at in
this thread.

Steve
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy