[Python-Dev] The bytes type

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Fri Jan 12 23:57:18 CET 2007

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> "A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca> wrote in message
> news:20070112182248.GA15187 at localhost.localdomain...
> | [*] Anyone else keep wanting to write "byte type"?
>
> All the other builtin types I can think of are singular.  So I think byte
> should be also.

But a "byte" already has a standard definition in the realm of computer
science and/or programming, and that definition is singular.  No one
will think that a byte is a container or a sequence (which is more or
less what it is), they will think it is like a C 'char'.  Bytes, on the
other hand, at least lets people know from the first read that it is a
container or sequence of some kind.  Of what?  Bytes.

 - Josiah