[Python-Dev] pydoc - revised

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 10:20:59 CET 2007

Hi all,

This is a somehow an update to the thread on pydoc started by Ron.

Since the last entry we took the bull by the horns (so to speak), and
are seriously aiming at delivering something that can qualify as:
- a revision of the module pydoc
- something that will facilitate the inclusion of ideas explored in efforts
like the nice epydoc
- something that is in general easily extensible to answer most of the
need (both regarding the output that is returned, and what are the
capabilities regarding the exploration of the documentation).

We are probably setting the bar a little high, but we hope to get somewhere
at least with the first point thanks to a number of advices on this
list, some of which by pydoc's or ipython's original authors
(beside that, the bar could not be elsewhere since I am not a very
good limbo dancer ;-) ).

There is a sourceforge page for that project, since it lets us work with SVN
without risking to disturb a larger project, but we are ready to have that moved
to the sandbox in the python tree (although it would be neat to wait a
little until
there are more tests).
svn co https://pydoc-r.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pydoc-r pydoc-r

Still, the thought process is not over and we were thinking of having
discussions
recorded either in the form of posts on python-dev, or say using the
mailing list
on the sourceforge page. An example of discussions we had are about
whether we should already name the module pydoc or an other name,
Posting on python-dev would give exposure to what is discussed, but at
the same could be perceived as off-topic until the module is in the
sandbox.
Posting on the sourceforge page would have pretty much opposite points
(no exposure, but no one would feel annoyed)

Any suggestion ?

Thanks,

Laurent