[Python-Dev] pydoc - revised

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jan 14 21:26:58 CET 2007

On 1/14/07, Laurent Gautier <lgautier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a somehow an update to the thread on pydoc started by Ron.
>
> Since the last entry we took the bull by the horns (so to speak), and
> are seriously aiming at delivering something that can qualify as:
> - a revision of the module pydoc
> - something that will facilitate the inclusion of ideas explored in efforts
> like the nice epydoc
> - something that is in general easily extensible to answer most of the
> need (both regarding the output that is returned, and what are the
> capabilities regarding the exploration of the documentation).
>
> We are probably setting the bar a little high, but we hope to get somewhere
> at least with the first point thanks to a number of advices on this
> list, some of which by pydoc's or ipython's original authors
> (beside that, the bar could not be elsewhere since I am not a very
> good limbo dancer ;-) ).
>
> There is a sourceforge page for that project, since it lets us work with SVN
> without risking to disturb a larger project, but we are ready to have that moved
> to the sandbox in the python tree (although it would be neat to wait a
> little until
> there are more tests).
> svn co https://pydoc-r.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pydoc-r pydoc-r
>
> Still, the thought process is not over and we were thinking of having
> discussions
> recorded either in the form of posts on python-dev, or say using the
> mailing list
> on the sourceforge page. An example of discussions we had are about
> whether we should already name the module pydoc or an other name,
> Posting on python-dev would give exposure to what is discussed, but at
> the same could be perceived as off-topic until the module is in the
> sandbox.
> Posting on the sourceforge page would have pretty much opposite points
> (no exposure, but no one would feel annoyed)
>
> Any suggestion ?

Don't know how other list subscribers think, but if this is going to
take time it would be best to either use the SF one or get one on
mail.python.org until you are at a point that you are in the sandbox.
If we allowed you guys to talk here then everyone who wants to write
up a replacement for something in the stdlib would want to use
python-dev and that would be too much.

-Brett