[Python-Dev] The bytes type

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 16 16:47:24 CET 2007

On 1/16/07, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > There seems to be rather a lot of confusion. No one is suggesting
> > Python 3.0 be anything less for the sake of backward compatibility.
> > Instead, it has been suggested Python 2.6 (and possibly 2.7) be
> > something *more* in order to provide for an easier upgrade path. No
> > compromises in Python 3.0.
>
> True: nobody is suggesting python 3.0 be anything less. But, I am
> indeed suggesting that Python 3.0 be something *more*: I am
> suggesting that people keep in mind the ease of writing of a program
> which can run on both 2.5 and 3.0. And wherever possible, act so as
> to preserve that ease. That may indeed involve a "compromise" in 3.0.

I'm not keen on compromises in 3.0, but without specific proposals I
don't see why we're arguing. So, please, what specific thing(s) are
you proposing we do in 3.0? Please make a list of specifics rather
than attempting at specifying a general rule to match things that
could go into the list; you've tried the latter and I still don't know
what you want.