[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] dict.items as attributes [Was: The bytes type]

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Jan 17 13:19:06 CET 2007

On 1/16/07, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Other than dict.items (and .keys and .values) returning a non-list,
> are there any other cases where the Py3K idiom can't already be used
> in (or at least backported to) Py 2.x?

Well, there is that bit where strings are all unicode, including all string
literals and attribute names and all that. And the bit where open() will be
different, although how different hasn't been decided yet. (Or rather, it
hasn't been written down in code yet, and to me that means it hasn't been
decided yet :)

What we need to do now is do the work on 3.0, and *then* (and a bit
'during', too) think about backward compatibility. As far as I can see, all
the existing changes in the p3yk branch are upgrade-pathable: the int/long
unification has long been done on the Python-visible side, 'except as' will
make it into 2.6, print/exec as functions can be imported from the future,
sys.intern/compile/etc can be made available in 2.6, classic slices are
already on the way out, et cetera ad nauseam. The aim for 2.6 should be to
have all the new features that 3.0 has, as well as full backward
compatibility (albeit potentially with a few extra warnings, as any release
might, but only for code that can be written sanely for 2.5-and-earlier as
well.) The biggest hurdle will be the unicode/string unification and the I/O
system (much bigger than the dict keys/values/items change), but since those
haven't been implemented yet, it's rather pointless to talk about how to
handle them in 2.6.

Is there a chance that this special case could be handled by an import
> hook in py 2.6?

I expect you don't mean an actual import hook, but just a future import?
Then sure, there is a chance. We'll have to see.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!