[Python-Dev] adding _Py prefix to names in 2.5.1?

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Wed Jan 17 13:21:57 CET 2007

On 1/16/07, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://python.org/sf/1637022 points out a problem caused by the lack
> of a _Py prefix on Ellipsis.  Most (all?) of the new AST names are not
> prefixed.  These are all meant to be internal names.  Are there any
> issues with changing this?  If we do so, it means that any module
> built with 2.5 that is using these names will fail to work in 2.5.1.
> No code outside the core *should* be using these names.

It makes me terribly uncomfortable, as removing symbols is absolutely not
something that should happen in a bugfix release, but I think that, in this
case, it is the right thing to do. Well, the least-wrong thing to do. If
only C had more visibility control, sigh ;-P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!