[Python-Dev] The bytes type

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Jan 18 01:49:47 CET 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 6:22 PM, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 05:52, James Y Knight wrote:
>> Yes, this is it. As a refinement: if the New Way can easily be
>> backported to 2.5,
>
> Um - 2.5 is _done_. Released. In maintenance mode. New features will
> not be getting backported to a 2.5.x release.

Sorry if I was unclear there. I was not suggesting doing feature
changes to 2.5, of course.

I meant backported such that they will _run_ on 2.5. And distributed
as a private module to go along with my code. This was doable for
many advancements in the 2.X series. For example, I could update my
code to use heapq and UserDict.DictMixin (which were added in py
2.3), even though it still ran on 2.2, by including a copy of those
which were used if you're running 2.2. So code could be written to
use a couple new features even though it runs on the old python. This
is, of course, only useful if the things you want to backport are
very small. Otherwise, you might as well just include a copy of all
of Python. :)

But this is moot, anyhow, as it has been decreed that it will not be
a goal to enable people to write code that runs on both 2.5 and 3.0.

James