[Python-Dev] Object creation hook

Kristján V. Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Tue Jan 23 15:21:56 CET 2007

Hello there.
I am trying to insert a hook into python enabling a callback for all just-created objects.  The intention is to debug and find memory leaks, e.g. by having the hook function insert the object into a WeakKeyDictionary.
I have already added a method to "object" to set such a hook, and "object_new" now calls it upon completion, but this is far from covering all places.  Initially, I thought object_init were the place, but almost no classes call object.__init__ from their __init__ method.  Then there is the separate case of old-style classes.

Any suggestions on how to do a global object creation hook in python?

Kristján