[Python-Dev] Unipath package

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 19:26:33 CET 2007

On 1/28/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Mike Orr wrote:
> > I finally finished my path package (Unipath) and put it in the Cheeseshop.
> > http://sluggo.scrapping.cc/python/unipath/
> >
> Hello Mike,
>
> Looking through the docs it looks like a great package. However, didn't
> Guido (on this list anyway) rule that he wouldn't accept a solution
> which subclassed a string type?

To be easily useful as a third-party module, it needs to subclass
str/unicode so you can pass it directly to something like open().
That inheritance could be dropped if the module was included in the
stdlib, as long as the inclusion was also accompanied by appropriate
modifications to open()/file() to allow Path objects.

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy