[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Unipath package

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Jan 28 22:07:27 CET 2007

I dropped the Cc: of Python-3000, because I don't think this discussion
falls under that mailing list's charter.  As I understand it, the
Python-3000 mailing list is for discussing the details of implementing
Python 3000.  "Stuff I'd like to see in Python 3000" doesn't go there,
it goes to "Python-Ideas".

One part of your message caught my eye:
> Passing an absolute foreign path is an error, because there's no sane way to interpret "C:\\" on Posix or "/" on Windows.
There is in fact a /very/ sane way to interpret "/" on Windows: the root
directory of the "current" drive.  It's equivalent to "\".  I guess it
isn't widely known, but nearly all Windows APIs are agnostic about
whether you use "\" or "/" as a directory separator.  (The only
exceptions I recall are the common dialog open / save file functions.)
I'm a Windows programmer, and I frequently use "/".

The fact that you don't understand this about how Windows paths work
makes me nervous about your path library.  For instance, did you
correctly support local paths on explicit drives (e.g. "d:../foo")?

/larry/