[Python-Dev] Python for embedding?

"Knut A. Wikström" knut at wikstrom.dk
Sat Jul 7 10:22:03 CEST 2007

Python is a great language. We all know. But I have tried implementing
Python into C/C++ applications, and have a) had a lot of trouble getting
it running properly and b) it is slow, compared to other languages, like
LUA.

What is my idea, is to make a Python implementation made to be embedded
into applications.. It will have these features:
a) Small footprint.
b) Easy-to-use, but still advanced API.
c) Stackless.
d) A smaller standard library.
e) Fast.

The smaller footprint is, so that it will use minimal resources
possible, leaving more for the underlying application.
The API is the most important thing, really, as this distro will be made
for embedding. It will not have any compiler features, just an interpreter.
Stackless Python is - as we know - faster than Python. Another good
reason to use it in embedding.
A lot of the standard library is seldom used; we only need the core
functions.
Fast, of course! It needs to be the fastest interpreter ever written (at
least fast).

Hope you have any ideas/comments!
~Knut