[Python-Dev] Python 2.6 BaseException.message deprecation, really needed?

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 16:01:33 CEST 2007

In PyGObject we want to use a 'message' attribute in an exception defined by
us.  The name 'message' comes from a C API, therefore we would like to keep
it for easier mapping between C and Python APIs.  Why does Python have to
deprecate this attribute?

.../gobject/option.py:187: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has
been deprecated as of Python 2.6
  gerror.message = str(error)

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
INESC Porto, Telecommunications and Multimedia Unit