[Python-Dev] Add a -z interpreter flag to execute a zip file

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 10:51:02 CEST 2007

On 13/07/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> So while -z strictly gives the equivalent -jar, it's actually
> -cp that is used much more often in Java (I think), and that
> doesn't have an equivalent in Python still. My typical usage
> of java goes like this
>
> java -cp <endless list of jar files> the.main.class
>
> The equivalent Python line would be
>
> python -p <path> -m main_module

Fair point. Doesn't it argue that there are valid uses for both -p and
-z (in Python terms)? I'm not expert in Java usage, but on Windows,
.jar files are associated with javaw -jar "%1" %*, which would
reinforce the suggestion that Python have a .pyz extension associated
with pythonw -z "%1" %*. Note the -w (GUI) form of both of these...

Paul.