[Python-Dev] Subversion branch merging

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Jul 13 21:44:35 CEST 2007

On 7/13/07, Facundo Batista <facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/7/13, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
> > with merges.  This means the end of posting patches because instead
> > what you would do is post the url to a branch that you published some
> > place.  It means that branch can be kept up-to-date as its parent
> > branch changes, so a new feature candidate need never get stale.  It
> > also means your new feature candidate is a first class revision
> > control branch, just as usable as the trunk, say.  So it's much more
> > powerful than trading patch files around.
> More powerful, maybe, but also more limitating.
> Do you still have the "patch" metodologie? How can you provide a patch
> if you don't have a place to publish the change?

All DCVS's I looked at had a simple file export for 'changes'. It's diff +
metadata, basically, which means it includes renames, directory mutation,
changelogs, change-dependency information (which 'revision' it is based on,
in effect) and whatever else the DCVS needs or wants. You can toss those
around just like you can toss around diffs.

Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>