[Python-Dev] Subversion branch merging

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Jul 13 21:44:35 CEST 2007

On 7/13/07, Facundo Batista <facundobatista at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/7/13, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
>
> > with merges.  This means the end of posting patches because instead
> > what you would do is post the url to a branch that you published some
> > place.  It means that branch can be kept up-to-date as its parent
> > branch changes, so a new feature candidate need never get stale.  It
> > also means your new feature candidate is a first class revision
> > control branch, just as usable as the trunk, say.  So it's much more
> > powerful than trading patch files around.
>
> More powerful, maybe, but also more limitating.
>
> Do you still have the "patch" metodologie? How can you provide a patch
> if you don't have a place to publish the change?

All DCVS's I looked at had a simple file export for 'changes'. It's diff +
metadata, basically, which means it includes renames, directory mutation,
changelogs, change-dependency information (which 'revision' it is based on,
in effect) and whatever else the DCVS needs or wants. You can toss those
around just like you can toss around diffs.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!