[Python-Dev] Building Python with CMake

Alexander Neundorf alex.neundorf at kitware.com
Fri Jul 13 21:48:33 CEST 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 14:53, you wrote:
> 2007/7/13, Alexander Neundorf <alex.neundorf at kitware.com>:
> > as I wrote in my previous email, I'm currently porting Python to some
> > more unusual platforms, namely to a super computer
> > (http://www.research.ibm.com/bluegene/) and a tiny embedded operating
> > system (http://ecos.sourceware.org), which have more or less surprisingly
> > quite similar properties.
>
> Sorry, missed the previous mail. Have two questions for you:
>
> - Why?

Why porting or why using cmake ?
Porting because of VTK (http://www.vtk.org), cmake because it has really good
support for cross compiling (cvs version of cmake). And it has the nice side
effect that the manually maintained MSVC project files would not be required
anymore.

> - Do you know if there're plans for support this two platforms beyond
> this porting?

BlueGene is for running VTK on it, and this will be supported for the coming
years. eCos was for testing the cross compile, since this is easier to work
with than with BlueGene. I don't know if there will be users for Python on
eCos, but then again I didn't have to change anything to get it working on
eCos, the configure checks did it all.

Bye
Alex