[Python-Dev] Subversion branch merging

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Jul 13 22:16:28 CEST 2007

On 7/12/07, Dave Harrison <dave at cryptohorizon.com> wrote:

> So far I've used DARCS, Hg, and Git.  And at this point Git is far and
> away the winner.

Let's not start a discussion on which DVCS is better, or I'd burn your ears
off about all the ways each of those (as well as Bazaar, Arch/tla/bzr1, Arx,
CodeVille, SVK, Monotone and BitKeeper) suck, suck badly or are the work of
the devil. The official Python source repository will be Subversion for now
(although it isn't officially my decision :). I encourage anyone to use a
mirror of it in their own favourite VCS, and do their own development in it.
'tailor' is a nice tool if you care about having the full history (as I do)
and you don't happen to hit bugs in it or the VCS. Do realize that the full
history may be a burden, especially in DVCS solutions.

For what it's worth, rumour has it Subversion 1.5 or 2.0 will get actual
branch tracking and full-history merging. If done properly (it's not done
yet, so it's hard to say) it would reduce the advantage of the DVCS
solutions by about half ;-P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!