[Python-Dev] Two spaces or one?

Talin talin at acm.org
Tue Jul 24 04:18:59 CEST 2007

In PEP 9 there's a requirement that PEPs must follow the "emacs
convention" of 2 spaces after a period. (I didn't know this was an emacs
convention, I thought it was a convention of people who used typewriters.)

I've tried hard to maintain this textual convention in my own PEPs, even
though it's very unnatural to me. But I see from looking at the other
PEPs that that this convention is very inconsistently enforced - some
have it and some don't. Worse, I've had one person (who apparently
wasn't aware of the rule) flag my use of extra space after a period as a
bug in my PEP.

(When I first learned to type, I used one space after a period. Then
years later, someone convinced me that two spaces was the proper style
and so I switched to that for a few years. But later I switched back
because I realized that most modern typographical layout engines seem to
calculate inter-sentence spacing properly when the number of space
characters after a period is one. And in HTML [which is how most people
view PEPs anyway] it doesn't matter since the browser is going to filter
out the extra space anyway.)

So if we're not going to enforce the rule consistently (and it seems as
if we're not), can we then just remove it from PEP 9? I'm not saying
that we should change the rule to one space, I'm suggesting that we just
drop the requirement and let people use whatever they prefer.

-- Talin