[Python-Dev] Two spaces or one?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Jul 24 05:23:22 CEST 2007

Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:

> In PEP 9 there's a requirement that PEPs must follow the "emacs
> convention" of 2 spaces after a period. (I didn't know this was an emacs
> convention, I thought it was a convention of people who used typewriters.)

If the PEP is displayed as HTML, then one or two spaces after a period
in plain text might not matter; any browser that I've bothered to check
visually merges space characters unless they are intermixed/replaced
with non-breaking space (&nbsp;). If ReStructured Text converts to
non-breaking space, then they matter.

In terms of text text editing, I think that as long as one is consistant
within a document, that's good enough.

 - Josiah