[Python-Dev] Two spaces or one?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 27 02:18:59 CEST 2007

Pete Forman wrote:
> Why do programming languages
> continue to assume use of a monospaced font?

Programming *languages* don't -- I know of no
(serious[1]) language that requires a monospaced font
in order to work correctly. Even in Python, as long
as you don't mix tabs and spaces, indentation still
works since it's all at the beginning of a line.

Certain *conventions* sometimes used by programmers
might require it, but that's a different thing.

[1] Brainf**k is an obvious exception.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |