[Python-Dev] zipfile and unicode filenames

Alexey Borzenkov snaury at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:22:16 CEST 2007

On 6/11/07, Alexey Borzenkov <snaury at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is that I don't know if anything actually supports bit 11
> at the time and can't even tell if I did this correctly or not. :(

I downloaded the latest WinZip and can confirm that it parses utf-8
filenames correctly (although it seems to treat presence of bit 11
more like enabling autodetection mode, not strict utf-8, but it must
be because it has to cope with lots of incorrect zip files), i.e. in
the presence of bit 11 it understands filename to be utf-8, without
presence of bit 11 it treats it just like oem. :)