[Python-Dev] Return error codes from getaddrinfo.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 28 19:32:57 CEST 2007

> [Martin]
>> That will be very difficult to achieve, as Python is (deliberately)
>> not even consistent across systems. Instead, it reports what the
>> platform reports, so you should do the same in Java.
>
> Do these examples make it clearer why and in what way I want the jython
> errno symbolic constants to be the same as cpython?

I fully understood that, already in your original message. All I was
saying is that this will be very difficult to achieve.

It would be much easier if you don't take the code of the standard
library and the application as given, but instead accept that people
may have to change the error conditions somewhat when porting to
Jython. Ideally, such porting would allow to still run the same code
on CPython, and ideally, you would then provide patches for the
Python library to make it run unmodified on Jython (rather than
trying to arrange to make the *current* library run unmodified).

Regards,
Martin