[Python-Dev] Python-3000 upgrade path

Facundo Batista facundo at taniquetil.com.ar
Mon Mar 5 16:43:20 CET 2007

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> developers and people who develop their own software. I would like to hear
> from people who have concrete doubts about this upgrade path. I don't mean

Disclaimer: I'm not involved in Py3k, and not even tried it once. And
don't know the details of the tool to "transform" Py2 to Py3.

Having said that, the *only* fear I have, is how safe it will be. And
here comes the explanation.

I'm now in an enviroment where we rely on Python, and I advocates on it
everyday. We use 2.3, and 2.4, some servers we're about to deploy have
2.5, and we'll use the lastest Py2.x everytime we deploy a new machine.

But, as we have always running behind our ToDo, we don't have time to
say "Ok, this server runs 2.3, how can I start using 2.5?". Too many
servers, too many applications, too many
undocumented-and-nobody-knows-about-it applications. And they all are
applications running 7x24.

And Py3k is around the corner, and I even heard some guys saying "If I'd
spent time taking care that this app runs ok after changing a bit of
it, I'll wait to Python 3000".

So, the enviroment is explained, now I go with "how safe it will be".
I'd love to know that there'll be a tool that tells me, after running it
over my application, Your app is "ready for migration"'. I do *not* care
if it takes a lot of work to make the proper changes, but I need to feel
confident that after running the last changed version during a week in,
say, Py2.7, and no warnings appear, and the "verification tool" say
green light, I can start running it in Py3k. And look at it a week more.
And say "life is great", :)

Anyway, I know how hard is it, and I regret not having the time I'd love
to have to help you. All I can do is thank you.

Thank you very much!

> One thing in particular I wonder about is the warning about mixing tabs and
> spaces. Should it be in category 2) (on by default) or 3) (still off by
> default, but part of -Wpy3k)?

For me, I'd love to 2.6 start warning "you're mixing tab and spaces,
shame yourself!".

Regards,

--
.   Facundo