[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Tue Mar 6 00:18:16 CET 2007

A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> At PyCon, there was general agreement that exposing a read-only
> Bazaar/Mercurial/git/whatever version of the repository wouldn't be
> too much effort, and might make things easier for external people
> developing patches.  Thomas Wouters apparently has private scripts
> that perform the conversion.  What needs to be done to move ahead with
> this idea?

Using git-svn to track a SVN repository seems to work well.  It
would be trivial to setup a cron job on one of the python.org
machines that would create a publicly accessible repository.  To get
changes back into SVN is pretty easy too.  Someone with SVN access
would pull the changes into their own git repository and then use
git-svn to commit them.  In my experience, committed changes look
just like they would if they were done without git.

There are other tools out there for Bzr and Mercurial but I have no
experience with them.  I've used Bzr  but git seems a better fit for
python-dev, even though it's harder to learn.

If some decides to do this, I suggest reading
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitCommonMistakes .

  Neil