[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Mar 6 01:42:31 CET 2007

On 3/5/07, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> On 05/03/2007 19.46, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
>
> > At PyCon, there was general agreement that exposing a read-only
> > Bazaar/Mercurial/git/whatever version of the repository wouldn't be
> > too much effort, and might make things easier for external people
> > developing patches.
>
> I really believe this is just a red herring, pushed by some SCM wonk. The
> problem with patch submission has absolutely *nothing* to do with tools. Do we
> have any evidence that new developers are getting frustrated because they
> can't handle their patches well enough with the current tools?

We asked people attending the Python-Dev panel at PyCon whether the
use of a distributed VCS would encourage them to work on the core so
that they could do their own commits in their own branch and some
people did raise their hands.

Plus it's just handy sometimes to be able to do commits when you lack
network access.

-Brett