[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 6 07:19:26 CET 2007

Scott Dial schrieb:
> While I understand that this tit-for-tat mechanism is meant to ensure
> participation, I believe in reality it doesn't, as the 400-some
> outstanding patches you referenced elswhere indicate. I can personally
> attest to having a patch that is over a year old with no "core
> developer" having any interest at all with the subject matter. And to be
> frank, nor did I really, but I saw a problem and was capable of solving
> it. My lack of caring about the patch means I am not going to beat
> people over the head to pay attention. This system is broken for someone
> like me (coder) that just wants to help out (non-coders).

If you don't care that much about the patch, it's not broken. As I said
before, the number of unreviewed patches has been roughly stable for
some time now. If the patch is not really important, it may take two
years now to get it in, but eventually, it will (if you then still are
interested to work on it to complete it).

> If nothing else, as an outsider there is no way to know why your patch
> gets ignored while others get swiftly dealt with. Any sort of
> information like this would at least provide more transparency in what
> may appear to be elitest processes.

This is what we would need volunteer reviewers for. We can send machine
confirmations, but I doubt it would help. If you need a human response,
somebody must send you one, demonstrating that they actually did look
at the patch. If none of the committers have the time to do so, somebody
else must send the manual confirmation.

Regards,
Martin