[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 6 16:05:18 CET 2007

Jeremy Hylton schrieb:
> You can ask whether we should have a plan for increasing the number of
> developers, actively seeking out new developers, and mentoring people
> who express interest.  Would the code be better if we had more good
> developers working on it?  Would we get more bugs fixed and patches
> closed?

Certainly, yes.

> If so, it wouldn't hurt to have some deliberate strategy for
> bringing new developers in.

Well, it might hurt. I do have a strategy: I force people eager to
get their patches included into reviewing, with the 5:1 deal. I do
consider it a useful strategy, and feel sorry that nobody else was
willing to adopt it. However, it seems that this also has hurt,
because now some people believe this is the only way to get patches
reviewed (but perhaps that's not too bad, because before they believed
there is no way at all to get patches reviewed...).

Regards,
Martin