[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Tue Mar 6 16:54:03 CET 2007

A.M. Kuchling schrieb:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:06:22AM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> My point is simply that the effort required to review patches seems to be a
>> problem. Perhaps the reasons for that need to be looked at and the process
>> changed so that it is more effective. At the moment people just seem be
>> saying "that's the way it is because that's the way it's got to be".
>
> Unfortunately I think the effort required is intrinsic to reviewing
> patches.  Trivial or obviously correct patches get applied quickly, so
> the remaining bugs and patches are the ones that are hard to fix.

Exactly. I often find myself looking at a patch or bug and turn away thinking
"I would need hours to review and check that in, while the developer who
originally wrote the code might perhaps do it in much less time". It's not easy
to apply patches to code that was written by others and that should stay as
compatible as possible for all cases not covered by the patch.

Georg