[Python-Dev] splitext('.cshrc')

Ilya Sandler ilya at bluefir.net
Tue Mar 6 17:49:00 CET 2007

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Hans Meine wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 06. M?rz 2007 13:36 schrieb Martin v. L?wis:
> > #1115886 complains that in the file name '.cshrc', the
> > entire file name is treated as an extension, with no
> > root.

> The current behavior is clearly a bug, since a leading dot does not start an
> extension, but marks a file as "hidden".

It's not at all clear that current behaviour should be considered a bug .
e.g, I think it's reasonable to expect that

splitext( a+"." + b) == (a, .b )

for any a,b which have no dots in them...

The patch will break this assumption for empty a

So, I'd classify dot files as a border case (either behaviour could be
viewed as wrong/correct)..

In which case backward compatibility should be the primary consideration IMHO

Ilya