[Python-Dev] splitext('.cshrc')

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:44:32 CET 2007

On 3/6/07, Hans Meine <meine at informatik.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
> The current behavior is clearly a bug, since a leading dot does not start an
> extension, but marks a file as "hidden".  The latter is on UNIX, and while
> this is different on Windows, I cannot imagine that anyone would
> a) have dotfiles under that OS, or even then
> b) rely on the current behavior that their full filename counts as
> "extension".

FWIW, all of the "standard" Windows functions from the Microsoft CRT
(_splitpath) to the Shell API (PathRemoveExtension) to the CLR
(System.IO.Path.*) believe that ".cshrc" is the extension of the
filename ".cshrc".

I'm not sure if that's an argument for or against the patch, though.
--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>