[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:02:12 CET 2007

On 3/5/07, A.M. Kuchling <amk at amk.ca> wrote:
> Any ideas for fixing this problem?

The current developer FAQ says:

  2.4   How can I become a developer?
  There's only one way to become a developer, and that's through
  the School of Hard Knocks.
  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-September/028725.html

That's a little glib.  And maybe inaccurate.  That message (by Raymond
Hettinger and probably not originally intended to be the first thing
developers-aspirant see) seems at odds with Martin's characterization,
in this thread, of Raymond's own experience.

I would submit a doc patch, but what's the use.  ;)

I should be explicit-- I greatly admire the python-dev community and
its processes.  I don't get the feeling much happens in private
e-mail.  Quite the opposite: it feels like important decisions are
regularly made on python-dev.  I don't think it's hard to contribute.
I don't think the stdlib is a huge mess of brokenness.  And I don't
think the community is either.

-j