[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Mar 7 01:21:26 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 20:24, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> It might be that individuals get designated maintainers: Guido
> maintains list and tuple, Tim maintaines dict, Raymond maintains
> set, I maintain configure.in. However, I doubt that would work in
> practice.

That approach would simply give us many many single points of
failure. For instance, you're maintaining a particular module but
at the time an important bug/patch comes up, you're off on
holidays, or busy, or the like. Sure, you could say "this person is
primary, and this person is backup" but hell, there's a lot of
different components that make up Python. That would be a
maintenance and management nightmare.