[Python-Dev] splitext('.cshrc') (and encouraging developers)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 14:36:32 CET 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Terry Jones schrieb:
>
>> I do think the behavior can be improved, and that it should be fixed, but
>> at a place where other incompatible changes will also be being made,
>>

> Indeed, 2.6 is such a place. Any feature release can contain
> incompatible behavior, and any feature release did contain incompatible
> behavior. Just look at the "porting to" sections of past whatsnew files.

Now that Martin has made the changes and rejected the original patch I
remember that it was written by me.

This raises a point which is related to the 'encouraging developers' thread.

I created this patch as part of a Python bug day over a year ago. The
bug day was trumpeted as being a good place for 'newbies' who wanted to
contribute to Python could start, and implied that some kind of
mentoring would be in place.

I enthusiastically turned up on IRC and asked how to join in. I was told
(more or less) to 'pick a bug and fix it'. That one seemed to be the
only one on the list I could tackle alone (and I still managed to screw
it up it seems!). I submitted the patch to sourceforge, posted to IRC
that I had done this - and then kind of hung around a while waiting to
see what would happen.

There was no response and after a while of waiting and nothing much else
happening either I returned to working on my own projects...

The bug days do seem like an opportunity to involve new developers - but
some kind of active engagement would seem appropriate...

All the best,

Michael Foord