[Python-Dev] version-specific PYTHONPATH env var

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Mar 9 06:36:20 CET 2007

What do people think about the idea of a version-specific PYTHONPATH
environment variable? Something like PYTHON25PATH or the like.
Reason I ask is that on our production systems, we have a couple of
versions of Python being used by different systems. Yes, yes, in a
perfect world they'd be all updated at the same time, sure. There's
occasionally issues with the PYTHONPATH being pointed at something
like .../lib/python2.4/site-packages or the like, and then have
issues when python2.3 or some other different version is run. If we
allowed people to optionally specify a more specific version this
problem would go away.

Anthony