[Python-Dev] pydoc II

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 15:56:57 CET 2007

On 3/11/07, Laurent Gautier <lgautier at gmail.com> wrote:[...]

> A prototype is being worked on, and I have been looking at code and/or
> functionalities in pydoc, epydoc, pydoctor, and ipython (for the
> interactive console), and there a lot of nice things in all these
> efforts. The name of the game is now to have something that likely to
> offer the best of all (although it can be an easy way to get no one
> happy in the end).
>
> Hopefully someone kept reading up to here...
>
> Some of the key points so far:
>
> library:
> - ability to browse documentation inside module/package files without

  Most importantly, we also need the reserve: ability to attach external
documentation to modules/packages without increasing their size.

  For instance, one of the reasons no one ever bothered to add pydoc
documentation to PyGTK (beyond a few docstrings that can be generated in
runtime) is that the entire documentation for PyGTK would be far too large
to place directly into the module readonly data segment.

  Documentation should be able to live in another file, separate from the
module source code, and loaded on demand.  Loading the pydoc file should be
preferably done through read-only memory mapping a file.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic."